Chicken and Applewood Smoked Bacon Pot Pie
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400°. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 3 Tbsp. drippings.
- Step 2Add onion to hot drippings, and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and next 2 ingredients; sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Remove from heat, and add wine. Return to heat; cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Whisk in broth; bring to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and next 4 ingredients.
- Step 3Remove from heat, and stir in chicken, peas, and bacon. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Place pastry over hot filling, pressing edges to seal and trimming off excess. (Use scraps to cover any exposed filling, if necessary.) Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush over pastry.
- Step 4Bake at 400° on lower oven rack 35 to 40 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Step 5Note: You can also make these in 6 (12-oz.) ramekins. Cut pastry into circles; place over ramekins after filling. Bake as directed.