- 3lbs pot roast, as round as you can find
- 1tablespoon McCormick’s Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 4potatoes, scrubbed and peeled and quartered (I use Yukon Gold)
- 1turnip, scrubbed and pared
- 1⁄2onion, sliced in big chunks
- 2cups carrots, pared (and chunked)
- 1cup rutabaga, diced
- 1celery rib, peeled (and chunked)
- 1dozen button mushroom
- TO 1 CUP BOILING WATERADD
- 2teaspoons beef base
- 2teaspoons mushrooms, base
- 1cup tomato juice (or V-8)
- 1sprig thyme
- parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season roast with steak seasoning.
- In a cast iron pot with a tight fitting lid sear the pot roast well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix up the sauce ingredients and pour over meat and veggies.
- Cover, and bake for 3 hours.
- Remove veggies and meat to a warm platter and thicken the sauce as desired.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the plated meat and veggies and pass the sauce.
Venison Backstrap is the best cut of deer, hands down. Easy to cook, melts like butter, it’s easy to see why this is considered one of the prime cuts of wild game. A necessity to any country homestead menu or date night dinner.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon minced dried lavender
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoon
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 scraped vanilla bean
2 cups blueberries
Vanilla bean ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and transfer to the preheated oven to melt.
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, baking powder, lavender and salt in a bowl. Stir in the milk, 1 cup sugar, the lemon juice, zest and vanilla to combine. Mix together the remaining tablespoon sugar and the blueberries in another bowl. Remove the hot skillet with the melted butter from the oven and pour in the batter. Top with the sugared blueberries. Bake until brown and the batter has risen up and around the fruit, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream.