War birds parked at Kingman, Arizona, soon after WWII. This photo was taken shortly after the end of the war. Most of these spectacular and valiant B-17 bombers were sold to salvage companies shortly after the war. They were reprocessed into all kind of metal products. More than likely something used by everyone today has a little piece of history in it.
B-17 909 was one of the lucky ones and is still flying today. See the video below.
The “Old Guys” here will recognize these…Al Redick, Supe Hoisington, Dick Harrison, Jim Maloney and, of course, Steve Hinton. We just got the plane in from Fullerton. From D-Day to the Battle of the Bulge, through reconnaissance missions and combat, fighting flying bombs and Me 262 Stormbird jets, P-51 Mustang pilots saw it all during World War II.
Gene Sarazen, whose stylish, effective swing and dogged demeanor made him one of the finest golfers of the 1920’s and 30’s. It was at the Masters in 1935 that Sarazen hit the shot that most experts believe is the single most famous stroke of golf ever played. Dubbed ”the shot heard ’round the world,” Sarazen’s shot with a 4-wood at the 15th hole of the last round of the tournament went into the hole from 235 yards away for a double eagle. It helped him earn a tie with Craig Wood, who had finished his round, and Sarazen then won the 36-hole playoff the next day for his only Masters title. The son of an immigrant Italian carpenter, Sarazen was born Eugene Saraceni in Harrison, N.Y. He began to work as a caddie at the age of 8 and entered his first professional tournament at 17, an unlikely candidate for a career as a golfer. ”In those days, only brokers and bankers played golf,” he once told The Associated Press. But he displayed a gift for the game from the beginning. He won the first of his two United States Open championships at the age of 20 in 1922, making him the second-youngest winner in the history of that event, and he was the first of just four men to win all four of golf’s major professional championships — the United States and British Opens, the Masters and the P.G.A. Championship — during his career. The others were Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan and Gary Player. He won 38 tournaments on the PGA Tour, including 7 majors.
John B. Wright House, Circa 1799, Johnson County Georgia, United States
Located in the Buckeye community of Johnson County is one of the oldest houses in South Georgia. John B. Wright was a wealthy landowner, who had the fifth largest number of slaves in the state, and also a legislator. He’s best remembered as the namesake of Wrightsville, as he gave $1000 toward the founding of a new town which would become the seat of Johnson County, established in 1866. The house is vernacular in style, and the somewhat unusual second floor with its shuttered windows was used for storage. The house has apparently never been painted, either. In his seminal Architecture of Middle Georgia: The Oconee Area, John Linley noted in 1972: “Evidently, Mr. Wright never forsook his modest way of living: the house is still simple and sturdy, and far from pretentious.” Linley also noted that slave cabins were still scattered on the property in 1972.
Wright is also known (or should be) for introducing legislation which allowed women the right to inherit land as individuals as opposed to relinquishing their land to husbands, as was the practice of the day. This was due to the fact that Mr. Wright had three daughters and no sons and wanted his vast landholdings to remain within his family.
The John D. Phillips family occupied the house from 1912 onward.
Near this wonderful old farmhouse, which is still the heart of a working farm, a historical marker placed by the Averitt Foundation reads: Excelsior was the cultural center of Bulloch County in the late 1800s before it became part of Candler County. It was founded in 1875 on land donated by Jimerson Kennedy, Remer Franklin, W. W. Olliff, Dr. Jeff Williams, and John G. Jones. These founders desired to build a “good and permanent school” for their children, so they funded the construction of Excelsior Academy. It was built in a place thought of as the town square, surrounded by oak and pine trees. It attracted students from nearby areas who boarded with community members during the school term. Its teachers were often affiliated with the Baptist church in town. The academy drew newcomers to Excelsior, which grew after its establishment.
A Crusades-era hand grenade was found in Israel. The hand grenade was retrieved from the sea. The family that located the old relic has turned it over to the Israeli Antiquities Authority. Nothing like the ones made today, this grenade was produced from heavy clay and is has very detailed embossing, it does not explode with shrapnel like the hand grenades of this generation, but it is more like a Molotov cocktail or incendiary grenade. It was filled with naphtha, a flammable adhesive like liquid known as Greek fire, then sealed and thrown at enemies. It was mostly known to be used in naval battles where the fire would easily destroy enemies’ ships. The IAA stated that the grenades were used often in Israel during the crusades, which took place between the 11th to 13th century, and they were used until the Mamluk era, between the 13th and 16th century. The late Marcel Mazliah, a worker at the Hadera power plant in northern Israel, located the grenade. But this wasn’t the only item that was in Mazliah’s collection. Archaeologists were very surprised to find ancient artifacts that date back 3,500 years. Marcel’s family told them that he found most of these treasures while working at the power plant that was near the sea, he collected them for many years. Some of his other finds were the head of a knife which dated back to the Bronze Age, along with candlesticks, two mortars and two pestles dating back to the 11th century. “The items were apparently manufactured in Syria and were brought to Israel,” Ayala Lester, a curator with the Israel Antiquities Authority, said in a statement. Archaeologists believe that the metal objects fell overboard while on a metal merchant’s ship in the Islamic period (638-1099)
For centuries the Ark of the Covenant has been sought after. It’s where-abouts have been long speculated to be on just about every continent. Now research is starting to shed some light on the possibility that the arm may be in America.
The petroglyph from Puerco River in Arizona looks strangely like the AoC.
Note the symbols on top which resemble the Cherubim on the Mercy Seat at the top of the Ark.