The Haunted William Kehoe House, Savannah, Georgia

Formerly the home of William Kehoe and his family, this 1892 house later became a school, a funeral home, and today is operated as a historic inn.  The Kehoe family, however, seems to have remained in residence long after their deaths, going about their usual routines while also interacting with guests and staff.  Mrs. Kehoe has often been seen sitting at a desk, writing, or sitting on the beds of sleeping guests.  Mr. Kehoe has been seen throughout the house as well, and on one occasion opened all of the exterior locked doors on the first floor…simultaneously.  The young twin boys of the Kehoe’s, who died in a childhood accident, have also been seen roaming throughout the house, and their noisy footsteps heard as they run across the upper floors.

Please follow and like us:
0

Country Life at the Franklin House, 1888, Excelsior, Georgia

Franklin House, 1888, Excelsior
Franklin House, 1888, Excelsior

 

Near this wonderful old farmhouse, which is still the heart of a working farm, a historical marker placed by the Averitt Foundation reads: Excelsior was the cultural center of Bulloch County in the late 1800s before it became part of Candler County. It was founded in 1875 on land donated by Jimerson Kennedy, Remer Franklin, W. W. Olliff, Dr. Jeff Williams, and John G. Jones. These founders desired to build a “good and permanent school” for their children, so they funded the construction of Excelsior Academy. It was built in a place thought of as the town square, surrounded by oak and pine trees. It attracted students from nearby areas who boarded with community members during the school term. Its teachers were often affiliated with the Baptist church in town. The academy drew newcomers to Excelsior, which grew after its establishment.




Please follow and like us:
0